View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by copbait73 View Post
Over the years I've found it best to select a chain with link sizes that fit the primaries then drag it through the pipes numerous times until everything that is loose breaks free.
This was used in the days of fragile ceramic turbine wheels.
What a GREAT idea!!!

We used to take a deadblow hammer and beat the chit out each header, focusing on the welds to make sure all of the slag/garbage was dislodged. I did this on my OBX set, and honestly I didn't get anything out of them nor did I think they looke bad inside. Maybe I got a 'good' set, but I've had no issues with now 1-year of use.

Regarding the fitment - I think you'll find that EVERY header will require a bit of tweaking to get it on the studs. Obviously, the best way to fit them is on an engine stand where you can flip the motor over and work from the top down (so the gaskets stay put while you get the headers on the studs), but if you're under the car, I would either use a small piece of tape or maybe some gasket tack to keep the gaskets stuck to the heads while you spring the header on. Mine was about the same - maybe 1/2" off on the 2 cylinders at the flywheel end. I put one end on so only the last cylinder on one side was on the studs, then pushed the other side in to where it caught the studs on the end cylinder. Then you rock the header up and fit the rest of the spigots on the studs. You'll have to pay attention when you actually blot the header up, as the sleeves on the end of the header need to be inside the head - if they're not lined up perfectly, you could bend or break those welded on sleeves.

In my experience with many vehicle brands and the aftermarket, these are as good as ANYTHING out there WRT fitment - having to tweak a primary ~1/2" to fit it is NOTHING for a set of headers. We've had to reweld, dimple/hammer primaries, bend, reflange, etc. MANY 'bolt-on' headers over the years, a lot of sets costing much more than the OBX set.....
Old 02-22-2008, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)