View Single Post

Fuel pump problems - HELP!

I just got my '75 1.8L down off the blocks and was trying to crank it up for the first time in about 10 months. During this time, engine, interior, wiring harness, everything had been out.

When I turned on the key, no fuel pump whirr. Everything else worked electrically that I could check. After 6 or 7 tries, the fuel pump came on and after waiting for the fuel to make its circuit and blow the air out of the system, she started right up!

Next time I tried it - no fuel pump again. Thought maybe I had a dead spot in the fuel pump (no problems before the rebuild), but when I put 12v to it directly it works fine. Doesn't appear to be any power to the pump (not 100% sure, can't find my multimeter).

I opened up the relay box and found that the two fuses were gone so I replaced them - no difference. Also noticed that there were only 2 relays in the box even though there are spots for 4 relays (I also seem to have the earlier 911.615.109.01 relays). There was no relay in the spot for the fuel pump relay. Putting one there didn't help either.

Should there be 4 relays in there? (If so why did it run fine before?)

I hope to find my multimeter (I think it is on my boat) and do some more digging, but in the meantime, any helpful suggestions????

This one is especially frustrating.
Old 09-03-1999, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)