View Single Post
Metal Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
However, it is conceivable that you could take a stock motor and relieve the two ends and make more HP and TQ with an air cleaner change, a header change, and a muffler change. Along with an AFR adjustment.

So if you did these changes:

1) Air Intake
2) Headers
3) Muffler

And HP and TQ went up, couldn't you say they were responsible for the change? Or just take Headers and Muffler?
Engines are air pumps; I think we all know that.
The "factory" does things to meet all kinds of product requirements. Warranty, durability, NVH; these are all the things that must be accounted for in auto design. The "customer" car change a few simple things and make a little more HP on just about any engine. With a Porsche the cost to benefit ratio is low since the design parameters are skewed toward performance.
Once the air cleaner and exhaust are "optimized" for a configuration than another change, like a high-flow turbo or intake passage diameter increase, starts the whole cycle over again. Now you need those B&B headers to take advantage of the turbo.

Quote:
y'all
I never heard anyone say that when I lived in Jupiter
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, H&R Coilovers, ESB spring plates- 210 lb
Old 02-22-2008, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)