View Single Post

Holy Cow

Wow, just checking in to post a pic and thoughts on the weekend and found a bunch of new responses. Thanks to all of you for your help and thoughts. Once I found out one of the hoses was a bit over $200 I decided to do what has been mentioned and clean and take stock of my problem. I am learning that finding oil leaks isn't as easy as it sounds. Where you find the oil dripping isn't always the location of the problem as I'm sure all of you know. I also learned that it's much more difficult to use the drive up car wash pressure washer with the right rear wheel reinstalled. My car is lowered to European height so there just isn't much room to operate. I did manage to blindly get it pretty clean as I found out when I returned home and removed the wheel.

I still can't be 100% sure but it appears that hose 'B' is the problem where it meets at the oil tank. The leak is pretty minor so I am going to start with just trying to tighten things up first. There are some other leaks coming from under the car...atleast one of which is an oil return tube.

I actually focused on fixing the steering wheel bushing this weekend as well. I used the quick fix metal bushing and it worked like a charm. I also had brake issues....squishy brakes. My brake fluid reservoir was very low so I added brake fluid and that seems to have solved the problem. I can't find a leak in the brakes so why the brake fluid was low remains a mystery at this point. Only a few days ago I didn't even know where the brake fluid reservoir was located. Plan to flush the brake lines and bleed the lines in the next few weeks but since they are stiff at the moment I figured I would check for leaks and watch the fluid level before tackling anything further.

Since I'm new...here is a quick background on the car. I bought it 10 years ago in Seattle. The original owner had a large collection of cars and was selling it. There was a matching cabriolet and they were breaking up the pair. I have driven it minimally over the last 10 years to the tune of 14,000 miles. The car had been sitting for the past 3-4 months as the number of issues started to rise (brakes, steering play, oil leaks, etc.). With 2 kids now it is more difficult to keep scaring up wads of cash to pay for the repair bills and faulty steering and poor brakes along with oil leaks sounded expensive! I decided to do the repairs myself and learn more about the car in the process. I have learned a ton in the past 3 weeks since deciding to tackle these repairs one at a time. I'm taking my time and want to say thanks for the support.

I also changed my tune from thinking I had an albatross in my garage to falling back in love again. Alright...maybe not love but hopefully you guys understand. Anyway, I spent a large portion of the weekend detailing her so at least she looks nice while waiting for me to tackle the oil leaks. Here is a pic as well...

Thanks Again!

Old 02-24-2008, 10:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)