View Single Post

Drive it home and enjoy a ride of a life time!!!!!!! I live in Virginia and was bi-coastal for a few years and the trip coast to coast is life changing. Cut over to Hwy 40 run through Memphis- stop at Belle street and listen to the blues- run through Little Rock and pick up Hwy 30. Cruise into Dallas and stop again for lunch and pick up Hwy 20. Then enjoy 16 hours of Texas driving. Out in the desert you will pick up Hwy 10 and run through Texas valley that has rocks balancing in mid air. Cruise through El Paso and get a burrito, cruise up to Phoenix and out to Palm Springs and pit stop again. then into LA and turn left or right depending on where you are going.. The ride is from Green Appalachian and Smokey mountains, through the low lands in Memphis and into the Deserts.

I have run the Hwy 40 east to Flagstaff Az then cut down 17 to pick up 10 in Phoenix. It's a beautiful ride but 40 will beat you to hell in Oklahoma for hours. You also run the risk of Mega snow over the continental divide, in Albuquerque NM and in Flagstaff Az... nothing like doing 80mph through the desert and suddenly out of nowhere crossing a "line in the sand" into 2 ft of snow- Happened to me on one trip, almost ditched it...

Hwy 40 to 30 to 20 to 10 will keep you out of bad whether and still is a fun...IMHO

HWY 20 and 10 from Fort Stockton Texas to almost LA is a blast to drive. You can see forever and can enjoy some speed with a higher level of safety alone in the desert, just remember to kill the jack rabbit and do not try to swerve and miss it.

I loved my runs from VA to Benicia Ca and wish a day might come I could do it again!!

Funny thing for me- my back never hurt like it did in the SUV and the adrenaline always kept me awake- GO FOR THE DRIVE!-

Sorry for the long post- Mike
Old 02-26-2008, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)