View Single Post
Manassas, VA

Garage
Question Need Some Advice Maybe Consensus

Dear Fellow Turbo Aficionados,
Since no one answered my request to obtain the proper tachometer for my car (I have newer 993-641-332-00 tach w/ OBC and I need an older 965-641-322-01 tach w/ OBC and boost indication), and I don't know how much boost I am running, I am going to try something else.

I will install an electronic or mechanical VDO boost or vacuum/boost gauge. The question is where to plumb the source. I realize that if I get just the boost gauge, I can plumb it into an existing rubber hose with a plastic "T" almost anywhere after the turbo outlet, IC, BOV, throttle body, or intake manifold. But what is the best location that also is convenient?

If I go with the vacuum/boost gauge I have to plumb it in past/below the throttle plate to see the vacuum, right? I think there are at least seven places I could go. Is there a consensus which is the best place for the most accurate reading?

How does the group feel about mechanical vs electronic? I can do either. My sense it that you lose some of the accuracy with the mechanical since the run is so long (~10'?) and the air is a little springy.

Thanks for chiming in,
Mark
Old 03-01-2008, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)