View Single Post

What should I look for in a major 930 service

I am a long time vintage Porsche tech, never torn into a 930 engine as of yet but I am about to take the plunge on a major service.

I am looking at a 2 owner 1988 930 that has higher mileage at 159,00 but appears very well maintained and all original except for a muffler. It is described to me as not able to pass Calif emissions, needs a tune up, otherwise starts every time and runs flawlessly. Rebuilt turbo that may or may not be a larger size (how do I tell). I have driven the car and it runs excellent.

Compression test results - done cold:
1 130
2 132
3 135
4 135
5 128
6 132

No oil leaks hitting the ground but there is oil seepage all over the top of the engine. Owner claims it has always run Red Line Oil.

I am adding up a major service cost and what parts should be looked at. So far:
  1. 1. spark plugs NGK
    2. cap bosch
    3. rotor bosch
    4. oil filter Mahle OCT 54
    5. fuel filter Mahle
    6. air filter Mahle
    7. smog pump filter Mahle
    8. fan belt
    9. A/C belt
    10. smog pump belt
    11. Case of oil - more Redline I guess
    12. Gallon of swepco 201
    13. Turbo/intercooler seals
    14. misc oil hoses
    15. valve cover gskt set

I would pull the engine/trans, clean what I could, do a valve adjustment. It looks to me like the air pump (smog pump) belt is broken and the pulley is worn out - maybe the source of a failed smog test.

So what other items should be looked at on an engine out service for a 1988 930?
Old 03-01-2008, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)