View Single Post

Garage
Hi all, I just stumbled on to this thread and see it has had no discussion in almost a year.
I can help define one aspect of the turbos in question. I can assure you these are Garrett VNT25s as used on the Chrysler 2.2 VNT gasoline engine. I worked the program. They are not diesel VNTS. I believe the vintage is 86-90. They are the FIRST automotive VNT turbos (predating Porsche's claim by roughly 20 years). Materials are good for 1835 degree F. I see the designer added a wastegate which is required as turbine flow will be beyond the vanes capacity.

Regarding what are obviously RSR style headers I like them. High performance engines, even turbos, should have equal length primary tubes. The length can be debated but one must "blue print" so to speak the entire system so each cylinder is operating to the same flow and pressure condition.

I witnessed an extreme application. I was on an Indy engine project testing unequal primary manifolds (turbo biased) vs. the standard tuned headers (engine system biased). At high boost and RRM the engine would misfire just as the engine builder (Ed Pink) said would happen. Tim Richmond qualified with tuned headers that year.

Last edited by copbait73; 03-01-2008 at 06:58 PM..
Old 03-01-2008, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)