View Single Post
Driver

Garage
I'm not entirely sure how Carfax works (gets its information). I think it taps into the computer systems/registries of each states' Department of Motor Vehicles, as well as whatever computer database used by the insurance companies. So, it's only as accurate as those sources.

If the VIN you provided did not register any hits via Carfax, then, presumably, the car was never registered in the U.S. Doesn't mean it wasn't driven/wrecked/serviced/etc, of course.

Additionally, Carfax only goes back as far as those sources do. Many states' DMVs throw out data after a certain amount of time. My car was originally sold in California. But then, it lived in Nevada for several years. In the meantime, because there was no "activity" on the car on the California DMV database, the California DMV eventually purged all records of my car. (Well, at least until I brought the car back into California last year.) Running a Carfax on my car won't reveal the first few years of its life in this state. Records only start showing up (from other states) on the Carfax report for the past 10 years or so.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)