View Single Post
Author of "101 Projects"

Exciting day at Callas Rennsport: Wayne's Evil Twin 959 was there!

Tony dropped me a line yesterday to let me know that one of the other 959s that they work on was going to be at the shop today. Actually, it's been at the shop for a few weeks, but 959s coming in for service are just another car there - he forgot to let me know until yesterday!

This particular car is the same color as mine was - which is a black metallic. The current owner had the interior completely redone, which made it look very nice, although I could tell the materials weren't exactly the same as the original. The original leather on these 959s was kindof soft, and didn't exactly hold up as well as the leather in other cars. Example, my 1998 BMW 528i E39 has 120,000 miles on it, and the leather in that car looks better than the 959. Of course, the BMW is has black leather, and the 959 has grey, so I guess it's not a fair comparison.

This particular was different in a few places than mine. Tony's shop has done a complete upgrade on the fuel injection and ignition to give it a substantial power boost. So, the engine comparment is a little bit different. I also noticed that the fan shroud was different, which was suprising to me. The car is also in the shop for an annoying oil leak from the cam tower covers. Upon further inspection, the magnesium covers seem to have corroded and broken off in places - not too good when a new one is $2500 (if available). Looks like they will be either replacing it or repairing it.

The front trunk smells the same as mine (as do all 959s). I'm not sure what the smell is, but it may be from the backing on the carpet after 20 years. I think mine is compounded by a leaky fitting on the plastic gas tank.

I did check out the cigarette lighter, and took a few photos of it - the one in my car is the wrong one and keeps falling out (anyone have one from a 1988 Carrera? - I'd like an older one, not a newer one I can buy from Porsche).

I also got to shoot a whole bunch of photos of the car as it was on the lift - except for the custom exhaust system, it looks pretty much very similar to mine. Oh, and this was also the car that Tony's crew converted from the regular 959 height-adjusting suspension to the 959S suspension.

So, if your 959 needs some service, then Tony's shop is the place to go. They know that there are plenty of choies out there when it comes to having your 959 cared for, so they take great pains to distinguish themselves with excellent service and support!

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 03-03-2008, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)