View Single Post
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
I think it needs to be said that twin plugs alone do nothing for HP. The result of adding the second set of plugs is improved combustion efficiency that can be utlized to tune more power into the engine in the form of more boost, advanced ignition timing, etc. In other words the safety threshold is raised.
Here we go again with this. Of course any change you make may require adjustments to make the change work correctly/efficiently. So what. You put on a low restriction exhaust or intake and you may need to adjust AFR. You drop in a CAM, you may need to adjust Fuel delivery, intake ports, manifolds, ignition timing, etc. So what.

It's a sliding scale as to what is the REAL performance enhancer, there are very few SAFE enhancements that are pure. Most of them rely on Facilitators Like Intercoolers, Headers, Blah Blah Blah.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Take a motor that is optimized, change nothing but dual plug it. Will it make more HP? Maybe an amount that is inconsequential, I don't know, and opinions vary.

Take that same setup and advance the timing some more and see higher HP. What made the HP? The timing advance? You couldn't have done it without the dual plugs.

Take a motor that is optimized, change nothing but dual plug it. Will it make more HP? Maybe an amount that is inconsequential, I don't know, and opinions vary.

Now up the CR 1/2 to 1 point and see higher HP. What made the HP? The Compression Ratio? You couldn't have done it without the dual plugs.

It's sorta like Huntin' Foxes. The Horse, The Gun, The Dog, and the Hunter have to work together as a team. It's called synergism. Who killed the Fox?? The Gun, it can't shoot itself. The Hunter?? He can't do it without the gun. The Horse?? The Dog?? They had to be let out, trained, and directed by the Hunter??

This all being said, I go back to my original premise, I Dual plugged so that I could rest easier when I pushed the LOUD Pedal. The combustion chambers on Porsche's are Beautiful to look at. The make excellent paperweights!! Polish one up and put it on your desk and see what people say! The problem is that they are just waiting to detonate. Dual Plugging in this world or Gruel we call Gasoline just makes sense if you are a Hot Rodder. Don't change your CR, don't change your timing, just feel like you are a little safer out there.
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 03-04-2008, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)