View Single Post
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeing 717 View Post
I just did my first valve adjustment today what a nightmare, im using the backside method but heres my problem. I adjust them as per the instructions, tighten everything down then check it again then i move to the next cylinder and do that one. After i was done i went back and checked them all and on some cylinders the .003 slid right in so i did it again and each was good. Then after i finished i checked them all again and once again the .003 slid right in. What am i doing wrong any tips???

Thanks
JERRY
You want the .0025 feeler to be tight. I check it by pulling that feeler out and trying to put it back. If I have a little difficulty getting the .0025 back in, it is perfect. The .0025 feeler should have a drag pulling out and a side to side wiggle and push to get back in. You just want to be able to barely get it in there.

I stick the .0025 in there and tighten until it is stuck and just back off enough where it will move, then tighten down. After you get the feel down, you'll start noticing how much you have to turn the slot in the adjuster back after you get to the binding point to reach the proper adjustment. Pay close attention to the slot in the adjuster. Combining feel and watching the slot makes you able to do a set of valves in 5 minutes or less.

What're ya stupid or somethin'!

Just kiddin'. 911 valves are a PITA. Once you get the feel down though, you would never want to do it the conventional way again. You obviously are leaving then loose.

I suppose the only other thing it could be is that your adjusters are banged up and old and never hit the same spot on the elephant foot two times in a row. Doubt it though.
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 03-06-2008, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)