View Single Post
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 930 View Post
I agree with this for aircraft, but the problem with our cars is that we rarely have the ready ability (or foresight) to check that both banks of plugs are actually firing. I've heard of two instances with twin-plug 911s where an entire bank of plugs was not firing (for some reason), unbeknownst to the driver. The engine can seemingly run okay on one set of plugs, but the timing would be set wrong and it may have serious consequences. Before track days, I always unplug one bank of coils, then the other, to make sure my engine is actually firing both sets of plugs.
Interestingly enough; this a required 'pre-flight' procedure for every reciprocating engine aircraft prior to take off. Cycling the magnetos on and off on the run up will determine whether or not that particular mag is firing or whether it is faulty.

I am huge proponent in doing pre-flight to my car or motorcycle each and every time I take it out.

Of course, imminent power failures are far easier to deal with on four wheels than on two wheels,, let alone being in the air.

Good tip, Rob.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)