View Single Post
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by patkeefe View Post
My SC has a BAE "kit". The words "bolt on" and "BAE" should absolutely never be used in the same sentence. I have found that there is a tremendous amount of reverse engineering involved in doing what I did. Also, I take mine to the track, so I had to engineer in some other stuff to assure it could stand being on boost for a much longer time duration than a street car. A search of my user name and BAE will provide a lot of questions and answers. I didn't actually have the benefit of seeing a 930 engine on a stand until after I finished mine, so I looked at it in wonder for a while, counting up all of the wheels I reinvented for this conversion.

So, Rob, I would suggest you familiarize yourself with some of the quirks involved with doing this before you start plunking down money for someone to install the "kit" for you, mostly for your own benefit. I can guarantee that the mechanic will come back to you afterwards and say "well, this needs this, and that needs that, so it will cost you an extra $xxx".

BTW, I'm hoping you don't have a RAJAY turbo, as they present their own challenges, specifically oil feed and drain, and availability of refurb parts. That being said, the SC running at 6 PSI will make a big difference in performance over a stock SC.

I don't really have any true, positive overboost protection, but after reading this thread, I think it would probably be a wise idea to wire in a pressure switch to my fuel pump circuit. I do have a degree of overboost protection via different means.

Lastly, everyone on this board brings something to the table, and I couldn't have done mine without everyone's help. There is a vast accumulation of turbo knowledge here. Anyway, have fun!
Pat
Hi,
Your post brings us back around full circle. The conversion, if you do it substandard is expensive and in my opinion dangerous. If you do it right, it is REALLY expensive and nowhere near as dangerous. The end of the day shows, Geez, I could've got a 930 for that. However, a 930 is not a Turbocharged SC. If you want a Turbo'd SC(Narrow body) then you can do a bolt-on, and watch a lot of Clint Eastwood movies. Do ya feel lucky PUNK! You can tear your SC motor apart and prep if for a Turbo, as has been done by tons of folks here. You can get a 930 motor and Transplant it. Or you can buy a 930 and get all the goodies that go along with it, ie tranny, brakes, body, suspension, etc.

This brings me back to the sliding scale. One end of the scale is expensive and dangerous, the other end is more expensive and a whole lot less dangerous.

If I were doing this project, I would be running all this in a spreadsheet to consider all the options.

There is a guy selling a 930 on the forum who has a $100,000 plus car that you could pick up in the 40's. If it were me I would sell my SC and watch for deal. They happen all the time here.

I certainly understand the "yearning" for a blown SC. High compression, Turbo, YEAH BABY!
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 03-08-2008, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)