View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboteener View Post
The Pinto is getting a V8 and unobtrusive street cage. Will be a dailyish driver for my buddy. Not my bag, but, it was Ben's first car and he has some sentimental value.

CopBait, you better take that picture down. Don't you know you can't turbo anything but a 930. OH my goodness, do actually blow through those carbs? Well we just can't have tall tales like this in here. What were you thinking? It probably blew up as soon as you turned the key. Absolutely beautiful. What did you do for timing? MSD boost timing master?
Brett:
This was before all that cool stuff. CDI boxes were high tech then. Besides I didn't have the money then. I think I took the distributor to a machine and stopped the advance short of full setting. That's what I did with the VW also. It was running 20# boost. The Porsche was about 7#. The wastegate was functional but the modified air-cleaner housing blew it's seals at roughly that pressure so no more was to be had.

The car was white with RS nose and tail. I took it out to the Indy infield for a car clubs gathering. Parking in the Porsche section, I ended up up next to "Todd and Muffy". They had a beautiful tangerine 911S. No lie, they were sitting at a small set of table chairs and they were sipping wine. I carried my Miller Lite out (you could drink and drive legally then) and sit down on my cooler. In time Todd mentioned the odd sound and showed some interest in my car. I explained it was turbo'd. I'll never forget him saying "well I think Porsche makes cars with those why don't you just buy one". Now I'm guessing your means, but that was like today saying why don't I just go buy a 997TT. A new 930 TURBO then, as do 997TTs now, cost more than my house. The difference being there were no USED 930 TURBOS to be had. Back then if you had a turbo Porsche you were rich or into home grown set-ups.

Last edited by copbait73; 03-09-2008 at 08:28 PM..
Old 03-09-2008, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)