Thread: Love of Cars
View Single Post

Love of Cars

When I was born, my dad was away fighting in Korea flying A-26's for the U.S. Army Air Corp where he earned two distinguished flying crosses. When the war was over, he came home to us and opened an Esso service station, where on weekends I was lucky enough to go to work with him in his red 1950Ford pickup. If I wasn't riding my bike around the block, I was watching him repair cars, change tires, and/or give real "full service" to gas customers.

Hanging around the station, the love of cars was ingrained in me at a very young age...And still remains five decades later.

This morning I was in the garage half finished waxing my 87' 930 when my brother telephoned to tell me that our father had passed away just 10 minutes prior. My brother and I talked for a few minutes before we hung up and I just stood there next to my car for a few minutes to gain some composure/direction. After telling my wife and kids about my dad...And allowing myself a little time to shed some tears, I continued to wax the 930 while resurrecting a myriad of memories about my dad.

And I had to laugh when I found I had to wax the car twice because I was waxing the Pcar with the scratch remover instead of the wax since the two bottles looked almost alike...But that just allowed me some more private time to remember dad.

On the wall in my home office, I have an old black and white photo of my dad taken 50 years ago, surprised by and looking over his shoulder at a photographer while he was servicing his red 50' pickup with "Wally's ESSO Service Center" hand painted on the driver's door. He was tall, handsome, and had hair back then (and so did I since I was 5)...But it occured to me, today, looking at that picture after finishing my Pcar's wax job, that that is where I got my love of cars. So I just wanted to thank you dad for loving me and giving me this "Love of Cars"...
Old 03-09-2008, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)