View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by copbait73 View Post
Well just to stur the pot.........here goes. You all ready have a killer engine but you can cool the charge AND cool the flame with water/alcohol injection. That is a third option. W/A injection is more than intercooling. Wow, now I've asked for it.
Well of course. Water injection has been used from beggining of time on aircraft engine, to prevent pinging and improve mass flow. Unfortunately, I personally find it a bit cumbersome to carry extra system containing water/methanol. Also, there is a issue of redundancy...what if/when water runs out and pump stops? Do you pay for it by ruined pistons?

Personally, I find E85 solution much more elegant than gasoline/water/methanol combo. First of all, it takes roughly 40% more E85 than gasoline to reach same lambda. Second, E85 has octane ratio of 104, third, it's specific vapor energy is *four times* higher than for gasoline.

With other words, E85 will use 4x1.4=5.6 more heat from charge air to evaporate compared to gasoline (which keeps EGT's cooler), is very knock-resistent and negates the need of external water-injection system.

All-in-one solution and quasi enviromentaly-friendly too
Old 03-10-2008, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)