View Single Post

Ok, Ok, Time to swing this thing back to the four speed cars for a minute...

I drove past Miguel's 930 on my way out of Barber's this weekend and it brought back memories...
(Sorry I didn't stop to say hello, I was already late to meet my sister to PPI an Audi for her.)

I must confess, I've never owned a 930, I've had a 79 SC and an 84 euro928S, considering I'm only 30 and the 928 was recently replaced by a beautiful baby girl, it may be a while on the 930...

I have however, had the luxury of having many very nice cars trusted to me for TLC over the last 10 yrs or so. Many have been offered for lots of seat time on and off the track

Up until recently, my very favorite particular Porsche was a '94 3.6T I maintained for two owners over about 8yrs. This car was a "paint to sample silver" brighter than any factory color. The only mods it had were eibach springs, fabspeed catbypass, andial 1.1bar spring, and a fresh set of Pilot sport PS2's. Sadly, it was replaced by a GT3 and went to a Japanese airline pilot in San Francisco. I still miss that car, and I only maintained it!! He did let me drive it alot though. That car seemed like all I could ever want and more from a Porsche

My new favorite is a 400hp RS America but that's another story for later...

The first turbo I ever spent alot of time in was an '87 factory slopenose, It had nearly every engine mod you could throw at it short of EFI when I started working on it. Kokeln IC, twinplug, SC cams, headers, T-36S?, Andial Fuel enrichment, carrillo rods, etc,etc
I freshened the engine after 70Kmiles at 1.34 bar of boost(ask me about that one) and added 3.4 P/C's and GT2 evo cams, somewhere along the way the garret got replaced by a K-27.

That car had a stock 4 speed and it was by no means a handicap. Considering it was a struggle for the 315-35/17's to maintain traction in first gear, I'm not sure I would have wanted to try anything else. 60 mph in first, 95 in second, and 140 mph in third gear wasn't too bad either. I don't even know about fourth...

I will never forget those looong torque filled pulls between shifts...

The only bad thing was we changed syncros, shiftsleeves, and dogteeth, more than once in 120K miles.
The 930 has thick, heavy gears, w syncros smaller than a 915 trans. They typical shift smoother than the 915's because of this (I think) but they don't last as long.

Also, a good working cable clutch w/ fresh cable and properly set-up clutch assembly is no harder on the leg than most of the G-50's out there...

Last edited by rsrmike; 03-11-2008 at 06:15 AM..
Old 03-10-2008, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)