View Single Post
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9dreizig View Post
Les, I'll agree with you on the flywheel bolts, but with all due respect the PP bolts don't neccessarily stretch like a traditional bolt as they are basically pulling against a giant spring ( the pressure plate). At least that's what I've been told and it seems to make sense to me.
Hi,
No problem, to each his own. Just one of those things you pick up along the way. It's mainly the ability of the bolt to withstand shear, and not a stretch issue. Fresh bolts that have only been torqued and have not been subjected to shear may be able to be re-used. A personal call. If you google "reuse Pressure plate bolts" you'll see a plethora of entries mentioning never re-using either PP or Flywheel bolts. He is using the same bolts from whenever, original?? Those bolts have been subjected to shear along the vector of when they were installed. Now they've been removed and reoriented with shear in another direction. There is no way I would re-use those bolts though. He'll probably be OK though. But hate to see $20,000 worth of damage done for the sake of $10 worth of bolts. If I were pulling apart a 911 to examine his clutch, I would definitely drop "New" Grade 8 boltz in there.
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 03-10-2008, 10:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)