View Single Post
Certifiable

Send a message via Yahoo to Quicksilver77
Waaaaahhooooo!

Well Boys and Girls!
I am an official member of the club! She arrived from Georgia unscathed, she started right up getting off the truck (I figured it was a good sign!) Took her for a spin... That boost is addicting!!!!!!!! I am smiles ear to ear!
Here is the short list of things that need attention:
The clutch needs an adjustment (I hope that is all) as it engages at almost the top of the travel, and the gearbox feels like I am stirring a bowl of oatmeal!

So I decided that I would start with the shifter bushings, as my first DIY.
Ordered the parts from our host and got to it. The bushing and sleeve under the shift knob went well enough but when I opened the compartment between the rear seats, and pulled back the rubber boots to install the coupler bushings I was greeted with a large hose clamp!!!!
Apparently, the conical steel set screw had bonded to the alloy coupler, and when the PO, or shop, went in to remove it, to do the bushing replacement, the top part of the bolt cracked and the allen key no longer would get enough purchase to do its job. So I guess a hose clamp is the next best thing to installing new bushings right?!!
So tonight I am going to try to drill and easy out the set screw... hopefully without damaging the coupler... That is unless you all, in your infinite knowledge have another trick of the trade???

Wish me luck!
Best Regards,
Sean
Old 03-12-2008, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)