View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinb930 View Post
WOW... appreciate all the information!!

930gt-40r: you mentioned the color is it called Meteor gray or gun metal gray? Do you have the color code? The sticker under the front bonnet is very hard to read and a dealership couldn't pull the color code from the VIN...

Les: the distributor cap has been replaced, I'll check the grounding strap... that's about the extent of my mechanical abilities.

Voitureltd: Pig tail wire... errr*^$$&(&)(_?!

mdurbahn: Rory is correct the wheels are RH 18" 3.6 Turbo Set... but they are the real deal (cost in 2001 approx $2600) and a PITA to clean. But worth the work considering the look.

rsmike: I'll try the plunger approach... seems simple enough.

With all the suggestions I might be up and running by next Thursday. Thanks for your help, I'll let you know my progress, and also thanks for the kind words on the car
I'll try again. This was the problem after 1/2 year of changing this and that with many hours charged at a very reputable race shop. The wire goes from the CD box to the quick connect then the pig tail wire goes to the distiibuter. Maybe the confusion is that the originals were brown curly wires called pig tail and the replacements are just straight green. It has 2 wires inside that are soldered to the inner male/female on both sides of the quick connect. The ground strands were almost all corroded off causing a poor connection on the quick connect from the CD box side. The quick connect to the distributer does often get changed but the other wire to the CD box is part of a engine wire loom and is not attended to.The inner copper core wire is plastic coated and a stranded metal ground wire is wrapped around it and has a plastic coat over that and is similar construction to the factory spark plug wires . It will cause all the problems you have as it did for me. It was a last resort after everything concieveable had been checked. I just got luckey to find it after all other options been exhausted. Good luck
Old 03-13-2008, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)