View Single Post

The ignition coil mounting braket which is also part of the intercooler mount looks like it's flexing upward under boost.
Also the left side mount is no longer there when the intermediate manifold has been removed for a long neck intercooler like it looks like you have.

There should be a mount in the back of the intercooler that goes down and bolts to the intake manifold. Look and see if the bolt is still there and snug.

If your running higher than stock boost that can also help lift the intercooler up off the up pipe from the turbo if the brackets are not fitted just right.
If the coil bracket isn't strong enough to hold it down you can fabricate a turnbuckle or rod ends and threaded tube to make an adjustable length bracket that goes from the coil bracket mounting point down to the engine mount cross bar.
If you do that the turbo's air pressure won't lift the intercooler off the up pipe anymore.

Mine was doing the same thing just not as bad, so I took a $7 turnbuckle and made this bracket from stuff I had around.
First is a pic of it on the car right after I made it a few weeks ago, and then a pic of it on a table from a few minutes ago.
I've sanded and polished it a little to try and make it look better. The bottom end of it uses a shouldered seatbelt bolt and a castellated nut from an old BMW 2002 tie rod end sprayed black, and hooks onto the bottom of the engine cross bar.
I've seen other people make up a similar bracket with rod ends and that looks alot better but costs alot more to make too.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)