View Single Post
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
You can check cam timing by using the ignition timing light, no engine disassembly required!
Normally you hook up the strobe light to the number 1 cylinder to set ignition timing at idle. Mine for example set at 5 degrees BTDC......since I run a modified distributor in my 79 930 turbo.
Now hook the timing light to the number 4 cylinder wire and see where it is timed with regard to the Z1 mark on the crank pulley. It should not move much or at all ideally from where number 1 fires. This is due to the fact that the flat-6 firing order is 360 degrees crank rotation between number 1 and number 4 cylinder.
A little movement is to be expected because the cams are running on different sprockets but they should be damn close.
Just a tip that I discovered when diagnosing distributor/timing issues awhile back.
Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 03-17-2008, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)