View Single Post
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmeister View Post
You can check cam timing by using the ignition timing light, no engine disassembly required!
Normally you hook up the strobe light to the number 1 cylinder to set ignition timing at idle. Mine for example set at 5 degrees BTDC......since I run a modified distributor in my 79 930 turbo.
Now hook the timing light to the number 4 cylinder wire and see where it is timed with regard to the Z1 mark on the crank pulley. It should not move much or at all ideally from where number 1 fires. This is due to the fact that the flat-6 firing order is 360 degrees crank rotation between number 1 and number 4 cylinder.
A little movement is to be expected because the cams are running on different sprockets but they should be damn close.
Just a tip that I discovered when diagnosing distributor/timing issues awhile back.
Fred
I'm confused how this procedure has anything to do with cam timing??
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 03-17-2008, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)