Thread: start up smoke
View Single Post
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurhip View Post
Does anyone's 930 give some blue smoke on start-up (cold). Once warm, smoke goes away.
Is this normal, or indicative of a turbo seal going?

Thanks
Can you qunatify "give some blue smoke on start-up".

How much smoke?

How long does it smoke?

Does it do it everytime it starts cold?

Does it ever do it on a warm motor start?

Was the engine recently worked on, and it started smoking?

My experience with Turbo seals are that they smoke like you are fogging for mosquitos if they are worn out!

Valve Guides and seals can smoke. Guides if they get bad enough will also do it on acceleration.

Boxer motors can do this a little anyhow sometimes.

I do no Turbo "Cool Down" on mine because I have been off boost at low RPM for some time by the time I get to my Garage. If you are doing this turbo cool down BS it may be causing your issue.

You may try this as your new shutdown procedure:

When you are parked, bring engine RPM's up to about 2000-2200 or so for about 5 seconds, and shut down the engine while it is at this rpm.

The idea behind this is that the scavenger pump is not efficient at idle and may allow the Turbo oil accumulator to fill with oil and cause a small pressure induced seepage across the turbo sealing rings. You burn this seepage on the next start.

Give it a try and let us now. Also let us know what you mean by a little smoke on start-up.
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 03-22-2008, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)