View Single Post

Thoughts on oil restrictors

After ~1000 miles of running my rebuilt 930 motor with the cam line restrictors I have the following data and advice.... Data:

1) idle oil pressure when cold never went below 3.5 on the gauge.
2) warm idle oil pressure ~2 on the gauge.
3) gauge will 'peg' at ~1500 rpm, cold or warm.
4) even with oil level at the low mark on the dipstick, oil pressure same as above - I used rotella 15W-40 exculsively

IMO oil pressure is waaay too high in every situation, but based on the advice of some professionals (both on this forum and off), I kept the restrictors in.

Last week, while driving in town at speeds below 45mph (basically rpm below 5K), my car started the mosquito fog. The K-27 I have was ~1.5 yrs old with less than 2K miles on it. I got around to pulling it today, and the seal on the compressor side is gone. There was a big puddle of oil in the compressor when I shined a light down after removing the I/C.

IMO, this is a DIRECT result of the restrictors - in preventing the significant volume of oil from reaching the cam towers, they over-oiled the turbo. I did rebuild and check the scavage pump with the rest of the motor, and using a beaker I verified that it was working well.

Others here are also against using these restrictors - I'll offer that I've decided that they are big trouble in a turbo car.

Pat K
87 930
Old 03-22-2008, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)