View Single Post

Matt,

It's a chain tensioner, not cam tensioner. Try again with your search and you'll find more than you ever wanted to know about it.

My opinion is that it's a generally a good thing to convert to the externally-fed Carrera tensioners, but it's not the "no brainer" that some people will suggest. There's one big advantage to the original 930 tensioners -- they're entirely self contained. Those little external oil lines on the Carrera tensioner, though usually reliable, provide yet one more source for a leak that can be particularly bad near the turbo and hot exhaust systems of a 930. Over the years, I've had really good luck with the latest revision of the original 930 chain tensioners, (and I've seen failures of the Carrera tensioners as well) so I would say that it's not a necessity that you make the change. What I would want to do for sure, though, is make sure that your chain guide ramps are in good condition and are the newest generation. They, too, have changed over the years and the earlier ones (I think older than 82) were prone to failure and can cause a big mess. If a ramp fails, you could have a sudden and catastrophic loss. If the tensioner goes bad (the original style, in particular) they usually fade out more slowly and give you enough warning (a rattling sound at idle) so you can get them repaired before any damage occurs.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)