View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmd_forest View Post
I'm not a painter but I've painted several cars and many panels with good to great results. However, I recently bought a set of HVLP gravity feed guns and started primering my latest project with SL-2K with poor results. I followed the mix instructions (4:1 paint to activator) and am painting at the recommended 10 PSI. New primer gun has a 1.8 tip. Ambient temp around 58 degrees.

The paint is laying on quite rough, seems to be too dry, and with quite a bit of overspray and "sandpaper" texture. I tried adjusting the fan, paint volume, and pressure but nothing really seems to help. I added a bit of reducer, per the the product instructions and that helped, but not really enough,

I need to find out my problem before applying topcoat, a single stage arcylic enamel.

Any advice would be appreciated.

jmd_forest
As Axiom stated, you might try using some more reducer in the primer and just lay on an extra coat. Also bear in mind, coatings flow out much better between 75-85 degrees. If you have the ability to heat the work space, that will help alot on smoothing the texture as you spray.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)