View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfulmer1 View Post
Ouch. A little bias here don't you think?

I personally feel the Nissan simply kicks porsche's ass here. Porsche should be damn embarrassed. I am feeling the late 80s all over again for Porsche.

Is it heavy, yes. Is it ugly, I hate to say it but yes. But I can gaurantee that you guys rest your laurels on Porsche racing success. I love the 930 since it is the first car to successfully use a turbo to kick ass. I give it all of that credit, but you need to give Nissan credit too. (BTW I own a 89 930 cab)

Nissan GTP kicks the venerable 962 to the curb. Nissan 300zx TT drastically hurt porsche in the early 90s. Even the first Z beat the venerable 911 in its day for much less money. The difference as to why they will never be coveted is that we associate success with cash and rarity. Not everyone can afford the 911 so it gets raised on a pedastal....just like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani..etc. Nissan simply shows that they can beat the worlds best at a reasonable price. Porsche and Ferrari could also sell their cars for less money by selling more units, but it would kill the exclusivity that makes the marks. It would crush all of the arogant owners that support their business.

I still love the Porsche and I consider it my Family rocket (It has back seats)

I love my TT ZX because it is a great comfortable driver.

I admire my Ferrari because it is a no comprise drivers car.

All are great in there own way, but damn give Nissan some credit here!

PS. Why compare it to a GT2? Do you really want some Nissan tuner to change the chip in the car so it kicks its ass too? That will crush more Porsche egos. Be glad they haven't compared the two.
it's not a question of credit. It's a question of comparison. it's not an apples to apples comparison.

Personally, I don't think a buyer (considering a Porsche) is going to test drive a Nissan as a comparison (in 99% of all cases). The cars are built for different markets.

In addition, it is Porsche that continues to be the Benchmark for cars like the GT-R. In 20, 30 years if the GT-R is the car the media chooses to compare all others to, then things may be different.

In the interim. The GT-R, for the money, is a performance marvel. Will its design be consider iconic (like the 911?) Only time will tell. Will it perform, compete and win at all racing levels similar to the 911? Most likely not given the fact that right now, you can't even swap wheels on the damn thing, but again time will tell.

I give Nissan credit for developing a high-performance car at a very attractive price. However, I still think Porsche wins in every category, not the least of which are "feeling the road" and "driver input"; two of the main things I look for when purchasing a sports car.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)