View Single Post
Acceleration Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUK View Post
Do you guys think the MSD is a quality product and would trust your $10,000+ engine with it?
I suspect every dragster in the USA is using an MSD ignition system, and $10,000 wouldn't even buy a good pair of heads for the typical blown dragster engine.
Some MSD ignition systems are so sophisticated they can advance/retard timing cylinder by cylinder.
Definitely a reliable and quality product - I trust my $10,000 engine with it.

From the MSD wesite:
MSD 6BTM, PN 6462
The 6 BTM is ideal for engines with a turbo or supercharger. Not only will the engine benefit from MSD’s full power CD sparks, but there is also an adjustable boost/timing retard circuit to prevent detonation. . . .The 6 BTM lets you dial away detonation by retarding the timing in relation to the boost pressure. By electronically controlling the ignition timing your engine can run on the threshold of detonation to obtain maximum power and efficiency.
The BTM features a dash mounted control knob that lets you adjust the amount of timing retard. It can be adjusted from 0° per pound of boost to 3° per pound. The boost pressure is monitored by a sensor built into the MSD.
The 6 BTM also shares the Soft Touch Rev Control of the 6AL Ignition for overrev protection. The BTM is supplied with rubber shock mounts and rpm modules for 3,000, 6,000, 7,000 and 8,000 rpm.

BTW, Rev limit modules can be special ordered in 100 rpm increments i.e. 6,500, 6,600 etc.
Lastly, a track racer’s tip. Mount the ignition module upside down as the rev limit module is a simple 2-prong plug in device that is held in with simple pin/socket force. If it were to vibrate/fall out, there is no rev limit, period.
(I did not mount my MSD upside down - sort of like running with scissors - hope I don't trip.)
Old 04-05-2008, 09:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)