View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewolf View Post
Then stick with your 'old' car and you'll be happy. If you have not been in a GT3, even an early one, go to your local Porsche club cruise day and ask someone to take you for a ride. The sound of the motor alone as it passes 7500rpm is awe inspiring. The amount of stopping power available is also amazing. Do yourself a favour and get a ride by hook or by crook.
You and I both agree that they are amazing cars. And you should go buy one if that is what you want.

I have also read dozens of magazine reviews and seen plenty of video footage and heard a lot of testimony that there are many other great cars out there that represent a lot better value and comparable or better performance. The 996 GT3 is widely known to have certain handling issues at the limit. Something about a 50 year old rear engine design, I suppose.

I personally can't be satisfied unless Porsche is the PERFORMANCE benchmark. As in #1, wave the checkered flag. The bells and whistles don't do much for me. I take it personally when Ferrari beats us. Or when Porsche artificially constrains their best product, the mid engine chassis, simply to make more money.

The ironic thing is that Porsche sales are dropping hard in USA because of the possible recession and I believe that we also will see a higher percent of 'premium' car sales since the rich will still be rich and the rest of us just won't find any value at all in base model 911s or lesser engined Caymans, and will stick with what we got.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)