View Single Post
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Les, you hit the nail on the head.
My explaination was simplistic as this is generally how the distibutors function. If you look in the factory manual (yes I have the manual and the PET and the CD) you will see several ignition curves for different years and type numbers (for different countries). Smog controls further confuse the issue.
My engine is a '78 California, 930/63 if memory serves, and may be the most complex as far as the distributor plumbing is concerned. With that unit I stripped away all of the smog crap and tested the function wich was as described. In the end I chucked that distributor for a single pot Euro that had a more agressive curve. Later on I bought an '86 and played with the mechanical portion of the curve.
356/930, what year and type number is your distributor? Is the smog equipment still intact? I am interested in any difference of function performed by the double pot on that unit vs what I have worked with. We can look up the curve and pot functions/configurations in the factory manuals.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)