I/D tag on the distributor is partially mushed. Hereís what I can read:
0 ??? 302 009
Pg ??? 06 >

Les Garten:
Checked timing today
Timing at idle (1500rpm),no vac 2 deg
Timing at idle (under 1000), with vac 22 deg
Timing at 4000 rpm, no vac 40 deg
The advice Iíve been given is donít run advance greater than 29 deg but when my timing is that slow, very poor low end/low rpm performance, marginal to poor performance at high rpm.
The distributor I run pulls out 8 deg and my electronic boost controlled retard (MSD) pulls out 3 deg so net advance above 4000 rpm and boost above 6psi is 29 deg.
I was running 40 deg advance without the electronic retard but backed it off when I went to 1-bar boost.

Spuggy:
If the J & S Safeguard device works as represented, one could be employed to safely add a few more degrees of advance and the resultant increase in power.

All:
Please understand I know nothing about these engines other than what Iíve learned on web forums and my own experimentation. Iíve learned that lots of timing obviously has its benefits. Iíve also learned itís risky to an expensive engineís life. Running a lot of timing in a street rod that spends very little time in boost is one thing. Running a lot of timing on a track under boost. . . .
Old 04-09-2008, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)