View Single Post

Wow that's a lot of reading but that's my kinda thread.

Here is what I have found, not a turbo but same 930/63 motor and a dual pot dist.

First of all the car is light and has 7.81 gears (72 911E lightened), then I added a 79 3.0 with SSI's and dual out sport, so it wants to rev quick, little load.

I was not happy with the performance, my guy had set the timing to stock 5 BTDC when I had the motor swapped, tried all sorts of mixture setting blah blah. Then I tried to recurve the dist to go quicket with lighter weights (and bent the tabs back for more advance), seems to be better but also seemed to detonate or at least run rough at top end can't tell.

Then I recurved with heavy weights and bumped the timing to ~20 BTDC which gave me ~40BTDC at 5k, it wouldn't advance much after that because of the heavy weights so the second stage of advance never came on (maybe at 7k). This produced super snappy response, now I am glad I put in a posi rear as well. I am still working of some fine tuning with the mixture because I am anal, I have always tested, re-tested, then tested again and after a while forgot what I tested so I try something new and test again. Sometimes that means breaking stuff but WTF.

I can hang with some pretty quick cars while cruising around the Bay Area, I have even surprised some bikers even a lambo or Ferrari. I can honestly say that I was ready to ditch the 3.0 until I played around with it, remenber the factory settings are for smog/heavier cars/restricted exhausts/emissions etc.

Keep up the good work guys, you can really get some decent response and power with the correct tweaking.
2011 VW Golf TDI

Last edited by Porsche Head; 04-11-2008 at 07:10 PM..
Old 04-11-2008, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)