View Single Post
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I think the real difference between daily driving an SC/Carrera and a 930 boils down to the gearing.
I drove my SC widebody for many years with the 190WHP 3.0L before the 930 transplant. The modified 930 engine has more torque at a lower rpm than the 3.0L did and about DOUBLE the torque on boost.
I kept the same 915 tranny - that for me is the key that makes this car a nice driver.
The boost does not need to be used to squirt around in traffic. If I want to have the same fun as a 3.6L SWB car I simply gear down and run the RPMs up to 4K shifting gears often up and down as I go through the twisies. You never notice any lag and don't drop in and out of boost due to the close ratio gears. It's a hoot! You can throttle steer through the corners!
A high HP 930 with the stock geared 4spd is a completely different animal. Made for high speeds and not comfortable in tight twisies or an Auto-X course. I Auto-X mine when I get the chance, high fun factor for little risk or dollars.
Top end / highway? She can do 0-100mph in less than 10 seconds, 100-140mph in another 5 seconds.

Would I go back? Are you kidding?

All that being said I do not drive my car daily. Why? Soccer moms and SUVs. I wish I could.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)