View Single Post

Garage
Word of thanks to board for inspiring me to make it happen... First 930/4

Hi guys, have been more of a lurker than anything else in my quest for flat-six knowledge, humbled and a yes, a little intimidated by the brainpower of you Pelicanites. After 15 years of NA 911 ownership, have finally taken the turbo plunge, prompted by a combination of fortuitous timing and a recent thread on NA vs turbo ownership

Did anyone go back to a Carrera from a 930?

Just out of grad school 15 years ago, was looking to buy my first 911, when i decided to look at a '76 Carrera Turbo for sale. It was out of my price range, but the sales guy seemed to be looking for a reason to drive it and offered me a ride. I still remember being stunned by the explosion of power in that car... both myself and the sales guy were laughing when we got out. I went on to purchase an SC, but that memory has never left me.

Fast forward to last year, I have been slowly converting my 3.2 Cab to turbo, and concurrently looking for any interesting Turbo coupes. I happpened to be on the west coast on biz, when an interesting Turbo with '934/935' parts went on ebay and did not meet reserve. By the time i went to the shop in Wittier, CA, a sale was pending. But Tony Miller, the guy that owned the shop was the same guy who had built the engine for the seller, he showed me around his shop. Was packed with tons of cool vintage parts... centerlock hubs... 935 twin turbo headers, a 935 case, GT2 intake manifolds, etc, etc, drool. He showed me the build sheet to the then sold 930. 3.3 case, 935 pistons, 934 cams, 3.2 heads and intake, Tech engine mgmt. The guy he built it for, whom i had talked too, said it scared him too much, as he had never even owned a NA 911! I got a brief ride... it was 15 years ago all over again, except with this time the adjective 'explosive' describing the acceleration, was replaced with 'mind-bending.' I still get chills when i remeber the open zork and popping waste-gate on deceleration.

This same car came up last week on Ebay, this time with a full 934 kit. After reading the above thread, about how much you guys love your 930's, and talking to the owner, i decided it was now or never.

I pick the car up next week, and have cleared my schedule for 4 days to drive it the entire 2500 miles home to NC. 4 days of aircooled, TC flat six heaven!! The PPI looks good so far, but i'll keep my fingers crossed. Hope to have some pix and documentation of the journey home to boot.

1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 04-21-2008, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)