View Single Post
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I don' tremember what tach adapter I used, but it a square black plastic box.

MSD Installation Instructions On A Porsche 911

You'll need the tach adapter if you want to keep the stock tach.

Here's some question and answer info I got from Steve Weiner who owns Rennsport Systems:

QUESTION: I'm installing an MSD 6AL in my '87 930 and have a question about the wiring. Here goes:

1- The large red wire goes to the battery or Positive lug on the starter solenoid.
2- The large black wire goes to ground.
3- The small orange wire goes to the Positive side of the coil.
4- The small black wire goes to the Negative side of the coil.
5- The small red wire goes to switched Pos.
5- The white wire is used to trigger a MSD shift light.
6- The violet wire?
7- The green wire?

Since the Turbo uses a magnetic pick up type distributor, my question is which wire does the MSD violet wire connect to and which wire does the MSD green wire connect to coming out of the distributor? Or does it even matter which one I connect to?

ANSWER: You are right in that the violet & green wires conduct the trigger voltage to the MSD. This is phase sensitive and must be connected correctly otherwise the car will not start or run poorly. Connect the green wire to the center conductor and violet wire to the shield.

I didn't want to cut any of my harness up, so I unplugged the wiring harness off the CD and connected my wires there (the ones from the distributor).

NOTES: In addition, to make the tach work correctly, the tach adapter is used and:
1- The red wire is to switched Pos.
2- The black wire is to ground.
3- The white wire goes to the tach output on the MSD unit itself.
4- The violet wire is run to the tach input (the purple and black wire by the CD unit).

Old 04-21-2008, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)