View Single Post

I did mine this winter and there are a few hints that will help you. I found that if you work from the smuggler box outward to the receiver/dryer and to the compressor you will be able to accommadate the extra lenght of the hoses. If you go towards the smuggler box you will have several inches to a foot extra to dispose of with no area to do it in. Always work towards the rear compartment for the same reason. Where the low pressure hose connects to the compressor make sure that you leave enough room to remove/replace your oil filter by angling the fitting away from the filter. I would reccomend putting the low/high pressure switch just before the compressor so that you can use the connector from the compressor clutch and not have to cut the original wiring. Griffiths offers his hose with the switch already installed in this area. Be sure and specify "O" ring type fittings and not the older flare fittings. Also put a liberal amount of oil on each O ring as you tighten the fitting. When you pull your old hoses out be sure and tie a small rope on the part that will be pulled through the hole in the body. After the hose is out then you cut the rope so that you will have enough rope to pull the new hoses through. I wrapped the end fittings with duct tape the applied a little white grease and they came through ok. Another person directing the angled fittings through the holes is a big help. When you go to vacuum and charge the system with a high/low pressure switch installed, you have to bypass it to get the compressor to run. Be sure and get a high/low pressure because the 134a refrigerant runs at a higher pressure than R12 and is prone to over pressureizing. Good luck and it is worth it when you are done.

Last edited by 911rudy; 04-22-2008 at 02:12 PM..
Old 04-22-2008, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)