Thread: knock sensor
View Single Post
Doug Siegel

Wow John, that's some serious radar. Your apology is accepted. I am a bit of a newbie who has spent 3x the money I intended on my engine and 400x the amount of time intended. I know little about this subject, so I am sorry that I can't ask direct and intelligent questions on the topic.

As for your current creation, it sounds fantastic......yet, while you described it I felt another 1000-2000 bucks being sucked from my pocket (not that you told me the price). It sounds far more sophisticated thus I assume more expensive than your past knock sensor creations...just a guess.

Several people have mentioned that the general noise of an air cooled engine makes knock sensors inaccurate. I don't know your history, thus I could not know whether you spend most of your time working with liquid cooled engines.

I've also heard it said that knock at different RPM's creates ping in different sound frequencies. Perhaps some knock detectors only search for sounds at one end of that range. I wanted some details on if and how you address this. Just gathering info.

Pelicanheads,
Is a knock sensor a tried and true insurance policy on our expensive motors?
88' blk/blk 930: Haltech EFI, Twin Plug, Pauter Rods, Nascar Bearings, custom crank work, dowel pinned case, ported manifold and heads, Kokeln I/C, SC Cams, Turbonetics ball bearing 62-1, BB headers, RARLYL8 Zork, additional 993 oil filter, plx/inyourface gage, RS style coilover, Fikse FM10-17 wheels, TIAL 46mm 1 bar. (where the heck did all my money go?)
Old 04-23-2008, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)