View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
I have a vote for the other side of the fence.
The mechanic that did most of the body re-assembly on my car could have or build any Porsche he wanted. What did he drive? A completely tricked out C3 with SC flares and a 2.7RS spec engine.
He would regularly drive the car to a distant huge Porsche event, place in the concours, place or win the auto-x, place or win the road race event, then drive several hundred miles home.
I asked him why he didn't have a turbo. He said very frankly "they aren't as much fun to drive the way I like to drive". I road shotgun with him many times and have to agree. That man could drive.
Well now that Brian boldy stepped out I guess I can throw in agreement. Over the years I've done them all including widebody and turbo. My project for life is a '73 with 3.6L. I just got back from a R Gruppe road run in Texas. We had a blast, 4K-5K RPM for roughly 420 miles. 20 cars, I co-drove my son's similar car, '71 with modded 3.2L. On the backroad twistys or throttle down on the highways his modded 3.2L in a lightweight car (RS bodywork) never left me wanting more power, traction, brakes or top end MPH. It feels like a large go-cart.
At this run we had one driver in a DE set-up supersized 930 (dyno'd 400WHP) who later said in the hotel lounge "debriefing" he was driving 2ND gear, only rarely into 3rd, and the car just needed gearing for spirited road driving. I jabbed him about having a hot rod with that ancient GM 2-speed Powerglide transmission. He was quick once lined up, but on the back road twistys he was staying in "the gear" and modulating the boost gage.
One is a Rapier and the other a Broadsword, both can get the job done but come on guys, I was the exception and ran 125 for a brief time. Do you really need a trans/motor that compromises response below 100MPH just for autobahn potential top end?
Back to the subject of the thread if it were a Carerra or Turbo for everyday I'd choose the Carrera for throttle/gearing response, cost of ownership (motor life). Would I miss the Turbos straightline THRUST and drop dead good looks, hell yes! In these two catagories the Carrera is simply ulitarian.

Last edited by copbait73; 04-25-2008 at 09:30 AM..
Old 04-25-2008, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)