View Single Post

Intermittent problems - our favourite kind right?

I posted the other day about my 87 930 not running correctly. It backfired and would not allow me to give it any gas without it backfiring. The car "fixed" itself and I drove a couple of hours home.

I have driven the car a couple of times since then without problems; however, today while idling at a stop light the car acted up again. The first indication is the tach will go all the way over to the right (the engine sputters but does not actually change RPM's). I can baby the car at first, but any attempt to open up the throttle is met with backfiring. I was limping home but the problem got worse to where I was finally stopped on the side of the street. It would idle (poorly), but I could not give it any gas.

A strange thing occurred when I applied the brake pedal. The tach needle came part way back and I could give the car throttle without is backfiring. As soon as I took my foot off the brake the tach needle swings all the way to the right and the car will not let you give it any throttle.

I turned the car off, started making arrangements to tow it home. On a whim, I restated the car (it had sat for +/- 10 minutes). It ran fine and I blasted home where it sits now awaiting somewhere to start on the diagnosis? Electrical possibly since the brake light switch is the only thing that is electrical that could affect the other electronics? Any help out there? It is only a five hour drive from here to the closest Porsche shop (RUF in Dallas - my choice) and if maybe someone has seen a electrical gremlin that makes the tach flip out and the car not run?
Old 04-26-2008, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)