View Single Post

Pressure Fed Tensioner failed

Drove the 930 down to Orlando this weekend for my daughters swim meet, and as I pull into the hotel I hear the classic rattling just off of idle. (Had several fail in early cars) So this morning I go out to the car, crank it up, no noise. After the swim meet I begin the 7hr drive back home, stopped after 2hrs, (no noise), 3.5 hrs (no noise) then after approx 5 hrs heard the rattling just off of idle. Funny thing is it takes a while for it to start making noise. I stopped on the way home at a friends house just to confirm. So I then shut the car down after we both agreed it was the dr side tensioner, and we talked for about an hour, then started it back up for the 30min drive home and no noise the entire way home.

This is my first experience with a pressure fed tensioner failure. Any way to rebuild/ clean? or do i just replace.

Friend was also telling me that Porsche updated the orifice on each of the two oil lines that supply oil to the tensioner to a smaller diameter for better pressure, so I'm wondering if that could help????

Last edited by timc; 04-29-2008 at 11:48 AM..
Old 04-27-2008, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)