View Single Post

'89 930 clutch help

Hello all, hope all is well...

I just pulled down my friend's 89 turbo for a clutch. the flywheel and pressure plate have about 124,000 miles, and are looking pretty tired. I think the flywheel may have been surfaced once, and looks tired again. Also, the disc wasn't shot and the pressure plate barely kicked back at all once loosened. the springs in the disc haven't hit the flywheel bolts yet though. Does anyone know the measurements for checking a 89 flywheel? A new flywheel is not real common (thank you one year only car) and about $800 .

Here is the next thing. It also has Electromotive twin plug w/ the popular crank pulley conversion from clewett. I tricked this car up about 8 years ago and since, I think he's been through almost as many crank sensors. I'm sure some of it is the way it gets treated, I have several other guys that get 2 to 4 years on theirs, but anyhow, he evidently doesn't always cool his turbo down enough.

I would like to use a flywheel with the 60-2 tooth pattern and move the sensor to the flywheel. I tried this on a 3.5NA w/ tec 3r and a 915. I used a Patrick Motorsports Flywheel for a 3.6 w/ 915 and a 91 turbo factory sensor and bracket I had lying around. I just changed the teeth tdc config from 11 to 15 in the tec3 software and all was well.

I can't do that with these old HPV units on his car so it looks like I may check into a custom flywheel!!??

I guess I should start by calling Patrick Motorsports but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I don't have to mount the sensor on the flywheel I just thought it may be a good oppurtunity to try something cool like the 3.5 if its going to be expensive either way...

Thanks for any advice
Old 04-28-2008, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)