View Single Post

76 930 brake upgrade, my understanding after searching archives

I will soon be the proud new and 2nd owner a 76 silver turbo 47K miles. The engine runs beautifully and after talking to several porsche nuts, i have decided very little in the way of engine modifications. The biggest problem is the car comes with dismal 15 wheels and the 911s brakes which were not confidence inspiring.

I want a brake and tire upgrade. I plan on a few DE events per year. But no dedicated track car. Here is my take after synthesizing all the advice over the last few months from rennlist and talking to numerous vendors.

The 15s gotta go. I can find some 7 and 9 x 16s which will add more rubber, however, not excessive weight. I considered 17s lindseys ect but would rather see if the Jeff Alton machined fuchs will ever come through. Anyways, 17s maybe more weight than i want and i dont want anything aftermarket, i like the fuchs look.

Correct me if im wrong, but the trailing arms and spindles are the same spacing as the standard 911, so the 930 brakes from the 78+ wont bolt on.

I have read through all the other options but the boxsters arent good enough for the track and the 964/944t seem like a pain for machining ect. I really want to go bigger than the carrera upgrade or the monoblock upgrade.

I looked into the brembo gtp lightweight kit, and it was very attractive except that it will not fit under the 7 inch fuchs upfront. apparently, i need the 951 fuchs( i assume an 8 inch) I figured the brembos are newer design, possibly lighter than the 930 but now i would a different wheel upfront.

Additionally the 930s require some significant machining. I dont like it.

So with all this being said, a 16 inch wheel keeps me fairly light and adds some reasonable rubber with the stock oem look. I want at least 930 stopping power because everyone says, this is plenty for a few DEs and keeps me lighter than the big reds. Big reds wont fit under the wheels anyways.

Finally, my questions for brake gurus for Mr. Bill or Mr. Steve or anyone who can answer.
1.Can i change the trailing arms, spindles to the 78+930 and just bolt on the 930s or is this cost prohibitive.
2.I assume the master cylinder gets changed to the 78+930 mc, is this the boosted one.
3.Which is better, the 930s and pay for the entire kit or the new brembo and then source some more upfront fuchs from a 951. Does anyone have back to back experience with stopping power, fade resistance with the gtp - l vs. the 930.

Thanks. i was fairly underwhelmed trying to find advice for this wacky year (76-77) 930.

Last edited by osu s2k; 05-07-2008 at 06:50 PM..
Old 05-07-2008, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)