View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BReyes View Post
When they fail do they go intermitently, or go all at once? Is it normally something that can be heard before it fails?

Regards,
Thru the years, I've had 4 sets of hyd. tensioners fail, and they all gave warnings that they were begining to fail, usually rattling just off of idle. I've never had one fail completely, and I've driven 911's many miles over the last 25 years of ownership.

Now, regarding the pressure fed tensioners, this is my first. Mine has only made noise twice, both times after driving the car for more than 4 - 5 hours (same trip to Orlando), and only noisey just over idle, then they quiet down, (which is what I experienced in the hyd. tensioers). I've driven the car several times since, and they are quiet. This, I've never experienced, must be a characteristic of the pressure fed technology. I've ordered a new tensioner just to be safe. And mine is only the dr side that is "sometimes" noisey.

And yes, sure it could be something else, but with it not making anymore noise pretty hard to diagnose. But I've heard enough tensioners, that I'm pretty sure that's it. I'll replace the dr side and go from there.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)