Thread: a/c removal
View Single Post

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
When I bought my '83 it had full a/c including a massive aftermarket condenser mounted on the bellypan. The car had been sitting for 3 years prior to my purchase, so the system had only minuscule refrigerant still in it. Since I live in the Seattle area I opted to remove the entire shoot'n match.
I unbolted and removed everything with NO cutting of anything, simply took an entire evening and carefully extracted ever component. This even included taking out the small condenser core inside the small box that resides inside the smugglers cubby hole. I retained the core housing and the internal fan so that I could still have additional air flow on those muggy days.
I had to make a small cover plate for the front condensers fresh air inlet that is behind the front bumper, and another slightly larger plate to fill the hole where the front condenser was. Simply bought some nice 1/8" thick black plastic and cut out the needed covers, used the factory screw holes to attach, a little clear silicone, and all is done.
My total system components weighed in at 53 !/2 lbs., although the massive underbelly condenser was a big contributor to all that weight.
Furthermore the big a/c lines do not really go thru the firewall, they simply pass behind the rear shock top towers and are sealed around the sheet metal with foam strips, you do not have to cut them to get them out, just a lot of patients and swearing gets the job done.
Mark
Old 05-09-2008, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)