View Single Post
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Sorry, didn't mean to rain on anybody's parade here, but......

The Mobil 1 Syn is not really recommended for flat tappet engines since the oil had been reformulated. Mobil reformulated the oil for cat equipped engines since the concentrations of Zinc in their previous blend had an adverse effect on the life of the cats. Recently, Mobil has again reformulated the oil stating they have increased the levels of Zinc for our type of engines, but the jury is still out on that. The Mobil 1 Syn for motorcycle engines, according to cnavarro has the best levels of Zinc from Mobil's line of synthetic oil. It's expensive and that's why he suggested the synthetic blend of Brad Penn....lower cost.

I had used the Mobil 1 for quite a while on my engine before I rebuilt it. I did notice increased scuffing and accelerated wear on the lobes. My $.02, I won't use it any longer because of that.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 05-10-2008, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)