Thread: 76 930 no start
View Single Post
Large Member

Garage
Hey Jim / Calvin-

I have been experiencing some of the same issues as youses with my '87. It seems to have worsened since I got the car last fall.

My cold start is money, fires right up like nothing. It's the hot start that's a beoch. Even after sitting 10 minutes. PO had a primer switch installed which used to seem to help but now doesn't affect anything.

Nathan here and others have suggested it's the accumulator. I've not yet pursued. Is that DIY for the barely shadetree'er? $$$ part (dare I ask?)???

TIP: What I HAVE found to be effective though... *bury* the throttle to the floor before you crank, then stab it violently after it's kicked over for a second or two. Mine catches on like one cylinder and I have to gingerly catch the rev with the throttle to get it to run, then feather through the misfire until it's running on two, three, then finally fourfivesix. Sometimes it takes more cranking than others but it usually fires right up. I was happy to figure out a secret handshake certainly, was getting frustrating to say the least.

I'm not complaining. If this is my biggest PITA and ^that's^ all I gotta do to get around it w/o having to toss greenbacks at it - I'm fine w/ that! 8-).

HTH, good luck, report back.

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 05-13-2008, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)