View Single Post
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
My thoughts are that a full synthetic has a higher flash point than any dino oil so it will be alot less likely to turn to carbon or coke in the extreme heat of the turbo housing.
Partial synthetic means absolutely nothing... it's 100% marketing because they could put one drop of synthetic in a quart of dino oil and call it partial synthetic and what is that supposed to do? BFD.
Even if it was 50% synthetic, the other 50% of dino oil can still turn to coke or carbon...

I'm not a scientist though, but I have had clogged cam spray bars ($$$ ouch>cams and rockers) from carbonized oil particles origonating from the turbo housing so I will only use full synthetic oil.

Because of that you couldn't pay me to use Brad Penn or any dino oil in a 930.
...and I do let it idle for a while after driving it to cool off the turbo housing.
I guess if we lived in a perfect world, the ideal solution would be to run pure syn oil for the turbo in its own oil circuit. Circulate its oil through its own oil cooler and tank. I guess the savings in using dino oil for the engine versus syn might pay for this mod in what, 10 years?
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 05-13-2008, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)