Thread: 76 930 no start
View Single Post
Non User

Garage
Update!!!

I hoped to report some better news but here's the latest... FYI - once warmed up and on the road, my car is a rocket - I'm one of the crazy few that installed a 1 bar spring with no intercooler - it's fun, but one of these days... BOOM!

Anyway, took the car to Santa Barbara last weekend. it was nice and cool, had to park outside while up there though - not fun for the cold start... I've removed the decel valve - ever since the 1st start in the morn is a little tough, fires instantly, but will die out, I use the throttle lever to get it going, after about 2 starts, and some coughing, it runs like a champ. Cruising temp stays right around the 210 tick, but if it's hot, and or i'm mashing the pedal, it'll push to the 250 mark pretty quick.

I typically only have the issue if the car is at or above 250 when I shut it down. If I try to start up within about 1/2 hour of shutting down, it fires right up, sometimes on less than 6, but it sputters for only about 5-10 secs, then it's fine. If its shut down for 45 min or more, it does not want to fire at all. Cranks, but no fuel (or not enough fuel) to start. If I do the on/off trick stated in an earlier post, it will fire on less than 6 and sputter its way to a regular idle after 15 to 20 secs. I'll try the gas trick suggested by krasuskyp.

I think i'm gonna deal with it for now, see if changes or remains a problem.

Krasuskyp - after the fuses/relays/fuel pump the accumulator seems to be the next choice. it's not real hard to install, just a little awkward reaching. Our host has the part here for under $250, but be sure to check the relays (including the yellow in the engine compartment) before going this route. The 76 cars don't have the yellow relay, it's my understanding this is one of the solutions for similar issues. There seems to be a lot of threads for the later cars on this issue, but not much info on the 76 cars. Good Luck!

Jim - sorry i couldn't report any good news. It's really nice to see some info on the 1st of the 930 line - some sick part of me can't get over the smooth lines of the real whaletail, even though you can't fit an off the shelf intercooler in them. Next project will be brake upgrades (when I get some $$$) then custom intercooler (if I don't blow my engine first). Would be cool to hook up sometime, talk shop...

Pat
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'74 914 track basket-case
Old 05-13-2008, 10:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)